Below are the foundation units we will be working through this half term. Click on the links to find out a little more about each subject.
During this unit, children will learn the names of capital cities around the world and use longitude and latitude to label these countries on a map. Children will also use the intercardinal points to describe the position of one city with another and investigate what time it is in each country. Children will be taught to read temperature charts, use graphs to record the population of different capital cities as well as use atlases to name and locate mountain ranges, and name and locate the longest rivers in each of the capital cities.
Christianity - God
Focus Question: Why is it sometimes difficult to do the right thing?
Throughout this unit, children will:
· Describe Christian beliefs about sin and forgiveness
· Describe and explain the teaching from Genesis 3 – of how Adam and Eve disobeyed God
· Suggest different ways that this story might be understood by Christians
· Describe and explain how and why Christians might use the Lord’s Prayer
· Analyse and interpret the Lord’s Prayer – and what guidance it provides for Christians
· Suggest things that might lead Christians into temptation in the modern world – and how and why they might try to resist these temptations
· Consider the different ways that myth and stories are and used
· Explain how a ‘truth’ might be contained within a story
· Consider how they decide what is ‘true’ – and how there might be different types of truth
During this unit, children will learn to identify a dangerous spam email and explain what to do with spam email. They will understand why they should cite a source, explain rules and algorithms for creating a strong password. They will also explain how to stay safe online and how to identify unsafe behaviour, create multiple strong passwords for use across different platforms and know why this is important.
Los Animales (Animals)
During this half term, Spanish will be delivered by a specialist modern foreign language teacher from Rainford High School.
They will recap vocabulary for pets from Year 3 but also explore vocabulary for animals that you might find for places other than the home. They will also recap the use of “Tengo…” (“I have…”) plus a pet and the connective “y” (“and”), use the structure “que se llama…” (“that is called…”) and learn how to use the negative structure “no tengo…” Additionally, they will link their new language together to use the connective “pero” (“but”)
Livin' on a prayer - Bon Jovi
All the learning is focused around one song: Livin' On A Prayer. The material presents an integrated approach to music where games, the dimensions of music (pulse, rhythm, pitch etc), singing and playing instruments are all linked. As well as learning to sing, play, improvise and compose with this song, children will listen and appraise other classic rock songs.
Linked with our learning in Geography, children will research and select an iconic European landmark to recreate as a skyline print. We will use the focus artist Yves Klein to inspire our work.